Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 17, 2011

First Road Trip

At 5 weeks, we ventured the unimaginable and made our first road trip.  Since little missy is what some may call “fussy”, I was anxious about the trip.  Every parent knows the amount of preparation and packing that goes into traveling with a child but we managed to make it to San Antonio without forgetting a thing.  Barrett, the magician packer, loaded up all our gear and somehow managed to fit guns, a stroller, 3 suitcases, diaper bad, pillows, presents, gear for 2 dogs, 2 dog beds, 2 dogs, a baby and us all into my Honda Civic.  When we got to my parent’s house it reminded me of the Mary Poppin's scene where she keeps pulling out lamps etc. from her suitcase.  Gear just kept coming and coming out of the trunk which normally 1 large suitcase takes up 80% of the space.  We were hoping to buy a new car while in San Antonio that would be more safe for the little one and more roomie for our growing family.  I was praying we didn’t have to load everything back into the Civic.  I wish we had pictures of us packed into the car.  At one point I needed in her diaper bag and it was on the floor on the opposite side of the car seat and I could not reach it for the life of me because there was no space around her car seat!

first road trip 2

first road tirp

Annie was supervising the feeding.

Miss Kennedy was perfect, sleeping the entire trip.  We rushed into town to surprise Pa at work and tried to make it their before people started leaving for lunch.  Pa was pretty excited to show her off to all his co-workers.  Then we rushed to my parent’s house to meet a guy that Barrett was selling a gun to, then lunch, then to the Honda dealership to look at cars.  We ended up buying a Honda Pilot and I LOVE it!  No more squatting to put the car seat in, it is the exact height to load a car seat.  Buying the car always takes longer than I expect, I had pumped for 1 meal for Kennedy but we ended up being gone for 2 so my parents had to bring Kennedy up to the dealership so I could feed her.  Of course it was right when we were signing papers.  I was so distracted thinking of my screaming child and just wanted to scream “hurry up I have a baby to feed”.  Then Kennedy, who had had bottles most of the day so we could be out and about, did not want to feed because she was lazy and had gotten use to the easy and fast flowing bottles.  (sigh)  But we made it through and got our car and were beyond tired when we finally got home to relax at 9:00. 

Here is the new family ride


Barrett’s dad came to visit early that morning and Kennedy got to see Papa D again and meet Granny C for the first time.  Kennedy cooperated for about 30 minutes and then it was nap time.


Later that morning we went out to the Marathon to support families in the process of adopting.  Gicki did the 1/2 marathon and Pa did the kid marathon with Hadley and Linden and Kennedy made her appearance right when it was time to leave.  We got to see the Leupold’s from Seattle and have lunch before they headed back home.  It was so great to see them and Karen was so excited to meet Ms. Kennedy.


Hadley adn K

This is Hadley holding Kennedy at Freddy’s after the marathon.


Then there was Gibson, who was so in love with the “baby”.  He could not keep his hands off of her and got so excited to hold her!  Precious boy.

That night we had a Sip and See to attend, hosted by my mom’s friends and co-workers.  They showered Grammy with all kinds of grandmother gifts and enjoyed holding Kennedy.  Unfortunately, they did not get to see the best of Kennedy because the shower started at 7 pm and that is when Kennedy eats and then goes to bed.  Needless to say she was exhausted when she finally got to bed.


Bad picture, but wanted to document the cute outfit.


Grammy opening her grandma gifts.

Sunday, Barrett and I felt like we had been run over by a truck we were so tired.  We went to church at Oakhills with my parents for the first time and got to see Ms. Barbara and Nanny who are very special people to Kennedy’s momma.  Kennedy did not do so hot during church, Pa fed her and then it was fussy/tired cry.  I proceeded to the cry room which was packed!  It is funny to me that I even felt stress in the cry room where kids are suppose to be able to cry without disturbing people, right?  Well apparently all this babies in the cry room had already had their cry and was sleeping.  So, yet again I found myself apologizing for my crying baby in the cry room.


Nanny with “my baby” as she told someone

It was a great weekend that was so much fun.  I am kind of worn out just writing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment